We all live in a toxic world. There is no getting around that. What we can do, is eliminate as many harsh chemicals and toxins we come in contact with in our homes on a daily basis. I would like everyone who is reading this to educate yourself on the chemicals to avoid and READ YOUR LABELS! Some top offenders are:
- Parabens – This is a preservative in most cosmetics, soaps, shampoos and fragrances. It is not always listed on the ingredients label. Parabens easily penetrate your skin, get into your bloodstream, mimic estrogen and have been found in breast cancer tumors. May also contribute to sterility in males, hormone imbalances in females and early puberty.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – This is a detergent that is a heavy duty degreaser and found in most personal care products that foam. Check out the label on your face soap, body soap, hand soap, shampoo, shaving cream, I even found this in my kid’s toothpaste. Side effects may include eye damage, depression, labored breathing, diarrhea, skin irritation and when combined with other chemicals it becomes carcinogenic (cancer causing).
- Triclosan – This is a synthetic antibacterial agent. Found in some hand sanitizers, antibacterial products and cosmetics. The EPA registers it as a pesticide, posing risk to human health and environment. It is classified as a chlorophenol, which is suspected of causing cancer in humans. May also cause a hormone disrupting chemical with toxic effects to our liver, kidneys and lungs, also suppressing our immune system.
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) – This is a degreaser in many personal care products and household cleaners as well as baby care products and sunscreen. Dangerous levels of dioxin have been found in the by-product of PEG, which causes cancer, reduces immunity, nervous system disorders, miscarriages and birth deformity.
- FD&C Color and Pigments – This is synthetic colors from coal tar that contains heavy metal salts that deposit toxins into skin, causing skin sensitivity and irritation. Animal studies show almost all are carcinogenic (cancer causing).
- DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine), & TEA (triethanolamine) – These are hormone disruptors that can form cancer causing agents. These chemicals are found in products that foam. *These chemicals are restricted in Europe for their known carcinogenic effects.*
These just name a few that I personally found in my home. The list goes on, unfortunately!
Here are some of my suggestions on what to do if you too find these toxic products in your home:
- THROW them away!
- REPLACE them with healthier alternatives! (Thieves line by Young Living)
- Don’t be fooled by products that claim *organic or *all natural
- Make your own!
- Educate yourself!
If you are interested in DIY like I am, here are a few recipes you might like to try:
- Shaving Cream
- Body Wash
- Deodorant + Antiperspirant
- Insect Repellent
- Hand Sanitizer
- Laundry Detergent
- Wool Dryer Balls
For those of you who would like to purchase nontoxic products from a reputable company, Young Living has the ART Skin Care System, essential oil infused shampoos, conditioners, body wash, lotion, deodorant, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, waterless hand purifiers, hand soap and the Thieves line of personal care products and versatile household cleaners. I use all of these products and would highly recommend them all!
Please contact me if you are interested in a wholesale membership with Young Living and I will assist you in your journey toward health and wellness!